Tuesday, November 12, 2013

For the Longest Time has a cover!

I still stink at blogging. I know this.  BUT!  I have a wonderful thing to show you!  After talking with my editor at NAL today, I've been given permission to show off the cover for this coming July's FOR THE LONGEST TIME, the first in my new Harvest Cove series. Here's the blurb:

For Samantha Henry, it took a ten-year
absence to appreciate the close-knit
New England town with a magic all its own....
Life works in unexpected ways, and after a perfect storm of events leaves Sam high, dry, and jobless, she has to head home to Harvest Cove to regroup. Growing up, she was the town misfit, and a brief high school romance that resulted in heartbreak left her with one realization—she was never going to fit in. But now with the support of her mother and an unexpected circle of allies, Sam starts to wonder if she’s misjudged the town all of these years.

Life has been good to Jake Smith. He transitioned from a popular jock to the town’s veterinarian without any trouble. Sam’s homecoming, however, makes him question the choices he’s made. The sharp-tongued beauty was never a good fit for the small community, but he’s never forgotten her—or how good they were together. While she makes it clear that’s she not about to repeat the past, Jake’s determined to convince her to give him—and Harvest Cove—a second chance.
 
This book will hit shelves the last Tuesday in June, and I'm so excited to share it with readers!  I think one of my strengths as an author is in crafting realistic dialogue that makes people smile, and I feel like I've really been able to showcase that in this book.  Also, I love these characters.  LOVE.  Like, a lot.  I'm editing the book as we speak, and as the outline for #2 was approved today, I've got that in the back of my mind as well.  Lots to do!  I'm incredibly grateful to have the chance to do it, though.  Anyway, the cover.  Here we go...what do you think?

And just for fun, here's a short excerpt...did I mention I'm excited about this book?:)  This takes place shortly after Jake and Sam's second meeting as Jake goes for an evening run with his dog, Tucker.

***

            Jake settled into his rhythm, feeling his muscles warm as he headed down his street and hung a right, towards the park.  The sky was a vibrant canvas of red and pinks, striking against the bold hues of the leaves.  He breathed deeply, savoring the rich scents of earth and wood smoke that could only be fall, and let his mind empty.  Everything fell away as his feet hit the pavement.
            His whole Zen running thing lasted all of three minutes before he was back to replaying his meeting with Sam over and over again.  Since that was by far the least traumatic part of his day, though, Jake figured it was okay. 
            He couldn’t get past her expression, so soft and unguarded, in the moment when he’d realized that not only was he about to kiss her, but that she wanted him to.  Still.  Even after all this time.  He wondered if she was pissed about it now.  Probably, he thought, his mouth curving.  That seemed to be her comfort zone with him, though she kept slipping.  Like when she’d agreed to dinner.
            Not a date, his ass.
            His smile faded as doubt tried to creep in.  What if she was right and they just sat there staring awkwardly at one another?  It’s just a dinner, damn it.  She’s still beautiful, you’re still interested, so now you get to see what happens.  You used to talk.  So you’ll do it again.  No big deal. 
             But he couldn’t remember the longing on her face without thinking that on some level, it was a big deal.  Maybe a really big deal.  Part of him had been hoping that time would have made her seem less interesting, that he could ditch the weird combination of guilt and fantasy labeled ‘Sam Henry’ that he’d been lugging around and finally shake her.
             No dice.  She was the same enigma who’d haunted him off and on for ten years now, except she’d piled on a few layers of some very adult sex appeal in the meantime.  It shouldn’t have made him nervous.  Women didn’t make him nervous anymore, damn it.
             And he could tell himself that until he was blue in the face, but it wouldn’t change the fact that this one did.
             “So what are a hick vet and a cultured artist going to talk about at dinner, Tuck?  You tell me.”
             Tucker looked up at him, his tongue lolling out as he panted, brown eyes full of simple joy.  That look said it all: I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT HUMAN BUT I LOVE YOU AND I LOVE OUTSIDE AND ISN’T THIS GREAT I LOVE RUNNING YAY I’M A DOG!
             “Thanks man,” Jake said.  “That’s deep.”
***
Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you! 
-Kendra
 

No comments:

Post a Comment